Sunday, May 24, 2009

Williamsburg Farmer's Market

Here we are at the Farmer's Market in Merchant's Square. Held Saturday mornings throughout the summer, it's more than just vegetables...come take a look with me! (click on images to enlarge)
First up. I bought two Hollyhocks, and a Foxglove plant. The Cottage Guy
carried them all the way back to the car for me.
I have tried to grow these from seed unsuccessfully.
What is a Cottage Garden without Foxglove and Hollyhocks?

This is the place to walk your pure bred dog, and see all the other breeds too. We didn't bring our own dog Willie, a sheltie, because he has a limp lately, however we did see some other Shelties. Above is the back side of a Cairn Terrier (like Toto from the Wizard of Oz). He turned away. Darn, so cute too!
This place is a regular dog show!

These two Westies remind me of my sisters two dogs. Adorable!

This happy Pomeranian loved the attention and was all smiles and bright eyed.

The Spaniel is sweet and well mannered.

The impressive Russian Wolfhound!
His owner was visiting all the way from Baltimore.
The dog's name is Blue or Lou for short.


These two were busy moving around making it difficult to photograph, but I did!
There were so many more breeds walking around without any fighting at all.

There are several artists taking in the street scene translating it onto canvas.

Look at the color variety of these Americana eggs.
I am told each hen
lays her own particular color.

Of course there are vegetables!!!
Lots of different farmers from
around Williamsburg and all over Virginia.


There's music too!


Here is what we are after-STRAWBERRIES- to make freezer jam.
We only bought four containers this time.


Fragrant herbs...I bought Rosemary, Tarragon and dear hubby snuck in a
Habanero Pepper plant at the pay table.
For fun we stopped to look at a booth with Everlastings! The dried florals were so colorful and arranged in a huge variety of little containers like sugar bowls, soap dishes, tiny tiny children's tea set pieces and large wreaths and fan plaques. Then my eye caught the soap display...

Wonderful fragrant and colorful soaps! I had to have some but I couldn't make up my mind.
Finally I chose 1-Almond Oatmeal, 1-Apple Spice and 1-Rosemary Mint, a gardener's soap.
The Cottage Daughter and I both favored the Apple Spice because it gives the best fragrance to the room! I also like the soft red which is my favorite color.
Thanks for coming along to the Farmer's Market.
Please support your local Farmers!

1 comment:

  1. Just so ya know! Williamsburg Farmers Market was voted #1 Outdoor Farmers Market in the country. Read it in the paper today. I am not surprised.

    ReplyDelete